As we begin our new series, "Feature of the week," you will find us spotlighting our lovely juice family, local growers, ingredients & their health benefits and much more!
This week: KALE. "The New Beef?" "The Queen of Greens?" We sure think so! Kale, Yeah, for this amazing superfood!
We would like to introduce you to our Kale source, (as local as it gets!) Blue Door Garden, here in Abingdon, VA, where Tom & Deni Peterson have been growing food & flowers for decades. They produce some of the finest, most nutrient dense fruits & vegetables we have ever juiced. We just LOVE their Tuscan or "dinosaur" kale, pictured above.
What makes it as nutrient packed as this? It's LOCAL, meaning it hasn't traveled thousands of miles, from farm to juice. Often times, it is picked that day and juiced! Now that's real living goodness. Also, the Tuscan variety is unique as well, for its extremely high antioxidant level, among the most antioxidant-rich foods on Earth. The antioxidants in Tuscan black kale destroy free radicals, unstable molecules that can cause damage to your body at the cellular level. The damage caused by free radicals has been implicated in the pathogenesis of a wide range of diseases and health problems, including asthma, macular degeneration, diabetes, heart disease, thrombosis, atherosclerosis, pre-mature aging of the skin, Alzheimer's disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Check them out at the Abingdon Farmers Market, on the end by the staircase (and on Facebook too!). You won't regret it! Support your local growers & businesses today :)
Kale is packed with vitamins & minerals, and EXCELLENT for the immune system. hint hint, incorporate on your diet to help avoid the nasty flu & cold! Here are a few other reasons why Kale is such a must:
1. Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat. One cup of kale has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat. It is great for aiding in digestion and elimination with its great fiber content. It’s also filled with so many nutrients, vitamins, folate and magnesium as well as those listed below.
2. Kale is high in iron. Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef. Iron is essential for good health, such as the formation of hemoglobin and enzymes, transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, proper liver function and more.
3. Kale is high in Vitamin K. Eating a diet high in Vitamin K can help protect against various cancers. It is also necessary for a wide variety of bodily functions including normal bone health and blood clotting. Also increased levels of vitamin K can help people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids help protect against various cancers.
5. Kale is a great anti-inflammatory food. One cup of kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
6. Kale is great for cardiovascular support. Eating more kale can help lower cholesterol levels.
7. Kale is high in Vitamin A. Vitamin A is great for your vision, your skin as well as helping to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.
8. Kale is high in Vitamin C. This is very helpful for your immune system, your metabolism and your hydration.
9. Kale is high in calcium. Per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, which aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism. Vitamin C is also helpful to maintain cartilage and joint flexibility
10. Kale is a great detox food. Kale is filled with fiber and sulfur, both great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.
Copyright 2014 White Birch Juice Company